Digital and eCommerce Strategy for a Global Business
Our Director was retained by aa global business who’s core business is international shipping, courier and packaging. This was an interim eCommerce Strategy Management role, reporting into the Marketing Director for UK domestic and international business, to deliver a strategy and an online-product development road-map which would provide the business with a market leading eCommerce proposition.
Our Director worked with the Senior Management Team to prioritise the quick-wins that would delivered a compelling consumer propositions with minimal cost/complexity and early ROI. They set priorities on the development and optimisation that increased online revenue and improved margins by reducing operational costs. Our Director led the simplification of customer journeys to improve customer self service and operational efficiencies. He initiated a development programme to deliver a new service oriented architecture, that now provides a layer of web-services making it easier to implement a new customer experience. Business cases were all underpinned with full EBIT and P&L analysis and were socialised at regional/global forum.
The result was a strategy for digital and eCommerce transformation, delivering business, operational and customer benefits in three broad areas as follows:
1) Improve operational efficiencies and profitability:
- Customer self-service: Through website, portal and mobile with call centre integration
- Customer journey rationalisation: Website redesign projects including multi- channel integration (telephony, retail, social, mobile and webchat), delivering brand and navigation consistency and improved usability and website consolidation
- Upgrade and consolidation of client-side apps: Legacy EDI based ‘customer integration management’ solutions
2) Increase customer acquisition and retention:
- Attract online customers: Attract from major competitors and new entrants (online resellers) who all had very strong digital propositions
- Increase customer loyalty: Making it simple for customers to set-up accounts online and enjoy additional benefits/services when signed-up
- Extend brand advocacy: Using social channels, driving incremental customer accounts and transactions (social commerce)
3) Sell more services, cross-sell / up-sell:
- eCommerce journey optimization: Selective deployment of eCommerce optimisation tools providing advanced analytics, session replay and enabling a/b and multivariate testing
- Digital marketing: Managing online marketing activities to drive profitable revenues supported by SEO and landing page improvements to uplift conversion
- Customer portal design: Leveraging CRM data, customer and market intelligence to identify ‘propensity to buy’, from high-level demographics down to individual customers, engaging in rule based targeted online marketing.
- Customer Application improvements: Update the design, functionality and quality of customers applications to be best in class, increasing features and making them more simple to use
Additional sector experience of our Principle Consultant and Director
The above strategy management services were provided by our Director who has also, for several years, been working outside this business on senior management and strategy assignments for other clients in other business sectors. This related experience is presented on his professional blog. To read more about this and other related business sector experience, please see our Director’s Show-Case, or ‘Where I’ve worked‘ on the Director’s Blog.