Our experience in Travel and Tourism
We have provided the project and programme management services to four house-hold name brands in the Travel and Tourism Sector. We provide the skills and expertise of our Director / Principle Consultant who has more extensive experience in the Travel and Tourism sector, having worked for other house-hold name holiday and travel brands and recently spent 2 years in the Heritage sector heading up Digital Product Management. To read more about his experience, please see our Director’s Show-Case, or ‘Where I’ve worked‘ on the Director’s Blog.
Our Director has managed a variety of digital and eCommerce initiatives in this sector, including new websites, mobile apps, web-chat and call-centre integration, social media integration, re-platforming and system upgrades, and managing RFP’s for decisioning solutions. We have provided a mix of Programme Management, Project Management and Consulting services.We have also developed an online holidays proposition of our own, combining web, mobile and social media integration.
Our Director has worked with technical teams and business stakeholders, from C-level, to operational / call centre agents, capturing project requirements and confirming scope, setting up governance and project controls and delivering technical and business changes.
We provided project management services for a well-known airports authority which had 6 major airports under it’s remit. Our Director managed a £3M project to re-platform BAA’s website portfolio, comprising six internet sites (one for each airport division), six extranets and the corporate intranet. These sites were all to be redeveloped onto new content management systems (Vignette, Microsoft SharePoint).
- Lift and shift of content, functionality and services to
- New hosting platforms
- New CMS
- Website / user experience design changes
- New integration to back-end services for airport/flights information, car-parking, hotels and other airport services.
This was a commercially complex project with multiple suppliers delivering UI design, solution architecture, component build and IaaS virtualized hosting, site governance and SEO.
Holiday Lettings Business
Summetria bought a holiday cottage in St Ives, Cornwal in the mid 90’s and developed the business over a 20 year period. Advertising, marketing and lettings went through a local specialist agent and the property consistently rented out for the entire peak season which equated , on average, to about 14 weeks a year. When we acquired the property we spent a day or so creating a simple website which directed visitors to the agent’s website and generated a few leads
In 2015 we had capacity and time to develop a much improved website for the property which, in just one year, increased our bookings by over 100%! The site was visually compelling and had the following features and functionality
- Great photography with design focus on the aesthetic and simplicity
- Mobile responsive
- ‘Holiday Feature’ pages with interactive UX to promote:
- Property details and equipment
- St Ives (things to see and do)
- Cornwall (sites, places to go)
- Availability and booking capability
- Map / directions (integrated via Google)
- Contact us / messaging
- Linked to the managing agent booking engine.
- Integrated feeds and links to social media and affiliated marketing websites.
Multi-Channel Marketing – SMEs to global businesses
We were early pioneers of multi-channel marketing. Focussed on our own Holiday Letting business, we innovated and experimented with Twitter, Facebook, affiliate website development, google advertising and campaign management. We combined all of these ‘digital marketing channels’ with more conventional offline marketing methods to drive visitor traffic toward our holiday let.
Through our Principle Consultant, we have shared and applied our learnings and insight with our major clients, encouraging and supporting them to become early adopters. The actions taken as a result of this insight has been beneficial on most, if not all of our digital projects, eCommerce programmes and strategy assignments for domestic and global house-hold name brands.
Digital marketing activities included:
- Desk-top website design, build and test
- Mobile website design, build and launc
- Twitter accounts established.
- Facebook Apps and/or Pages, designed and development
- Website integration: Created custom widgets (integrated content and twitter buttons) using Twitter code segments
- Facebook and Twitter followings/communties established
- Campaigns, both online and offline (set objectives, plan, execute, measure effects)
- Social media engagement (process/tools): Twitter, Hootsuite, TweetDeck, Bit.ly
- Content sources: Set up alerts, RSS feeds, twitter keyword /#tag search, key blogs and forums
- Analytics Tools: Google Analytics, Bit.ly, Hootsuite,
Our Director was retained by a private equity company to run an eCommerce programme delivering technology and business changes into a group of house-hold name brands in the travel sector. The main activities of the private equity business was the sale of branded goods and services through its subsidiaries, and the main revenue streams came from financial services (insurance) and holidays:
- New Websites with an upgraded CMS (Interwoven) with new workflow
- Newly architected back end services to support a more agile approach to changes and shorter releases cycles.
- Upgraded analytics including Session Replay capability.
- Mobile apps and mobile optimised websites
- Multi Variate testing
Additional sector experience of our Principle Consultant
Summetria provides the programme management and project management services of our Director and Principle Consultant, who has additional relevant experience in the Travel and Tourism Sector which he discusses on his professional blog. To read more about our capabilities and experience in this and other related business sectors, please see our Director’s Show-Case, or ‘Where I’ve worked‘ on the Director’s Blog.